Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thoughts to ponder....

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately...thinking about the fig tree prompted me to start thinking about Eve for some weird reason...so my thoughts have been centered around the Garden of Eden...a place where Adam and Eve had everything they could possibly need right within reach...a place of peace and harmony....so I've been wondering... how did the serpent get into the garden? and why was Eve inticed to eat from a tree with a serpent in it...I don't know Eve but if it were me I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR a tree with a snake in it....and how did the snake entice her? Was she a serpent whisperer? Did beasts and humans converse back in those days???

Genesis 3
"1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?"
2 The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' " 4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Upon further study, I am finding that the word "enticed" is a quite liberal (broad) figment of speech...have you ever been enticed to do something that you were told you must not do? I know I struggle with this a lot...There are often times when I am "enticed" to do things that take me away from the things that I really should be doing...the internet is my serpent...it entices me to not be as productive at work...it takes me away from my family at home...when I am told that I can't do something...that is exactly the thing I want to do more than anything...is this human nature? Why must we have these "serpents" in our paths? God provides us with everything in life that we need...but we need a lot of intervention when it comes to steering clear of the things we shouldn't partake in....those trees full of seductive serpents tend to plant themselves in front of us all too often.... and take our minds away from the garden...where we already have everything we need

No comments: