Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sick Days and Dental Checkups

Jared woke up at midnight last night...well we all did I suppose. He came home from school yesterday with a bit of fever and a tummy ache...well the tummy ache didn't get any better....until midnight anyway. I'll spare the details but he wound up sleeping on a blanket bed on the floor for the remainder of the night. When he woke this morning he still wasn't his bouncy self, luckily the boys were out of school today and tommorrow for teacher work days (what's up with that? Why are they called teacher WORK days? Teachers work harder than anyone I know and have the most gruesome job in the world, they deserve OFF days too) anyways...no school was missed. I took a sick day to take care of him and this evening he is doing much better.

I am at a loss as to this new Avon adventure I have embarked upone...I am not into sales so what in the world am I doing???? I love Avon but finding someone who loves it just as much as I do in order to make a business of it???? Its off to a slow start because I am finding far more to purchase than I am customers. Where are they? How can I get customers to come to me? I know times are tight right now for most of the world but here in GF the economy is supposed to be going strong. I just need to connect the dots....find customer looking to buy Avon products...but how??? Advertising is pretty limited here. How do I reach out to those that will buy without bugging those that are not interested? I don't want to be a pest. I went to the mall last night and put coupon flyers on windshields. I'm still waiting for my first customer to call. I opened up a business checking account today and the lady at the bank was really nice...I'm sure I could have sold her something if I'd had any salemanship ability at all. I'm starting to wonder just what I'm getting into. Opening a business account is a commitment. That is kinda scary. That really makes this real. I must reach beyond my "circle" and find customers that will help pay the slight overhead of running a successful business.

Oh last but not least, the boys had dental checkups today...7 cavities between the two of them! Yikes! How did that happen? That is going to be costly. Cody needs braces. That is going to be costly too. I guess I need to get a grip and stop letting everything get to me. Today was a GREAT, GORGEOUS, SUNNY and NOT FREEZING COLD day. The kids are healthy, in spite of their mouths full of muck...they do brush consistantly but they inherited my soft enamel...our mouths are full of fillings....could be partly the sweet tooth too Jared has recovered from his bug and is now playing happily with his sister, tossing balloons around the playroom. Life is grand. We are so blessed. I should not worry about what I have no control over.

I planted the last of the tulip, daffodil, iris and some other bulb I am not sure what it was today...so when it comes up in the spring it will be a great surprise. I love surprises. As I wandered about my garden this afternoon I was amazed at the amount of flowers that are still flourishing there...daisys, marigolds, and lots of others that I am not sure what their names are. I may not know but God does, and that reminds me that even though I am not in control, maybe I can be an instrument that God will use to make the world a better place. Just a few short months ago those spots of dirt were just brown. Now they are filled with color and life. This is not something I had to do...its not something that someone told me to do...it is something I enjoy doing. It is like therapy for me to dig in the dirt...it is like therapy for me to shop. I am hoping that this newest hobby will flourish and grow too and blossom into something beautiful that brings as much joy to others as it does to me.

2 comments:

prechrswife said...

Glad to hear Jared is feeling better, and sorry about the dental visits. That's just no fun, but sometimes it just works that way. I can be meticulous about dental care and can still end up needing a filling. I think it is just body chemistry sometimes.

As for the Avon thing, will the kids' schools let you leave some catalogs in the Teacher's Lounges if no one else is doing that already? I know Avon catalogs were regular features in the lounges at the schools where I taught, and some of the teachers ordered fairly regularly. Usually the rep was one of the teachers or a parent of kids in the school. I'm not a salesperson either, so I don't have a huge amount of ideas.

Barbara said...

The best thing you can do, which you've probably already done, is tell everyone you know that you are selling Avon and to let you know if they or anyone they know is interested. It would also be a good idea to have an open house and invite everyone you know, give away a couple of Avon products as door prizes and each person gets a ticket, if they bring a friend they get an extra ticket for each friend they bring. You could have a second drawing, everyone who places an order before the end of the month, is entered into a grand prizing drawing. The grand prize a 1 on 1 consultation with free product (you can probably pull together some for $25 -$30 with your discount) and tips on how to achieve the current trend of a neutral eye and bold lip. (The product can be geared to the current trend, soft warm neutral eyeshadow, eye liner and mascara and a bold lipstick). Advertise the giveaways. You have to put yourself out there, and that's never fun.

Personal products can be a hard sell, it's not like jewelry, people tend to be brand loyal when it comes to makeup.

Hope this helps.