Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ode to little Jimmy Dickens

This is a hilarious story my Mom told me this morning:
(caution please do not read if you are a chicken rights activist)
I was telling my Mom about getting locked out of the house this weekend (another story) and she told me about a story of how little Jimmy Dickens (the singer) had a similar thing happen to him way back when...that brought back memories of the little rooster that she had named "Little Jimmy Dickens" because it was so little and so loud...and that was this rooster Jimmy Dickens thing: he was little and loud...anyway I told her that her story reminded me of that mean old rooster that she used to have...she replied back that she had forgotten all about that chicken (my Mom NEVER forgets anything) she proceeded to tell me how Jimmy Dickens met his match...you see this little chicken was not only little and loud but he was also very mean. He would chase after you and attack you for no apparent reason. He got Cody when he was just a little fellow (mind you that this all took place about 15 years or so ago) Apparently he also tried to attack my mother...and no bird or anything else gets away with messing with my mamma! She took him up by the neck and was about to chop off his head with a DULL chopping axe and my stepdad came out to see what all the commotion was all about...little loud Jimmy put up a squawking fight to the very end...well my mom says "I am about to get rid of this chicken" my stepdad said "you can't do that" and she replied "well, you just watch me" and she did. You can bet I have a whole new respect for my momma now. She has some grit in her. I can see now why my stepdad is so well behaved and agrees to her every wish....she's put the fear of Jimmy Dickens in him.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Too funny!! We have a similar story, except our roosters name was Steve, and he attacked Cooper.

rgshrs said...

That is TOO FUNNY! I have memories of my uncle's rooster and turkey, I still don't like birds of ANY kind! they just freak me out. LOL

prechrswife said...

Funny!

Kylie's momma said...

Too funny! I was just catching up on "Little People Big World" and the Rollofs met J.D. at the Grand ol' Opry. I had just read your story too. Tee hee! Your mom is one tough "bird" :-)