Friday, October 3, 2008

17 Years Ago....

I became a MOMMY!!! :)

Today, is my firstborns 17th birthday! I can remember that day like it just happened...even though I can barely remember what I just ate for breakfast. I remember the hour long ride to the hospital in the ambulance and watching the sunrise and my Mom being right there by my side seemly taking every bit of the pain and anxiety onto her own shoulders to the point where I had to reassure her "Mom, I'm doing OK" even though the doctor wouldn't give me anything because Cody was coming fast. I arrived at the hospital around 7 (I remember it was at shift change because there were nurses everywhere) It went very fast but my Mom was there feeding me ice chips and I did my Lamaze breathing so well that it was my Mom that I had to tell to breathe. Cody was born at 10:12 am...with the umbilical cord wrapped 7 times around his neck! He was a very healthy 7lbs 11ozs...but I didn't have any "water break" as seen on tv...which I thought was weird and when I got to take a good look at him later when they'd cleaned him up, his skin was dry and flaky like a fish. He never cried and has always been such a good boy, loving and kindhearted. Never fussy and has always been very mature for his age.

Even as a small boy, he was my "protector" keeping watch over me. When we would cross the street, he was the one that would always check and triple check and then say "Ok, its safe to go now Mom" He'd get fightin mad if anyone made a rude comment to me or about me in public. He has a very sensitive nature and always makes me the sweetest cards and gifts. He has a heart of pure gold! He's always been my sweetie! So today, as I reflect back on the past 17 years, it is with wonder and amazement that God has blessed me with such an incredible child to call my son.

2 comments:

prechrswife said...

Happy Birthday, Cody! :-)

leo said...

Sorry this is late. Just got back from 1 week leave and now browsing your wonderful post. Happy Birthday Cody, many happy returns to you! From what I read here you are such a joy to your family and mommy esp :)) Hope you had fun.