Friday, November 21, 2008

On the road again...


In just a few hours the kiddos and I will head south (16hours/1058 miles south) to my Mom's house for a week in the woods. She lives out in the middle of the Ozark mountains on a hill, surrounded by trees and wildlife...chiggers, bear....


Please pray traveling mercies upon us "Yankee folk" as we make our way down south....I don't know if its the fact that the south is a bit "restless" right now or the fact that guns have been flying off the shelves that has gotten me on edge. I do not plan on making any extra stops along the way though...gas, 2 min potty break and then we roll. I grew up in the south and know how "outsiders" are looked upon. I never thought I would fit into that category but I guess living in the bubble this past couple years has really made me more aware of the dangers on the outside.


Anyway, its been a bit stressful getting prepared for this trip back. I'd really appreciate all your prayers during our journey. Have a great week! (My Mom has dial up modem so not sure how much updating I will be able to do for the next week and since I already stink at updating photos I will just leave with the hope and intention to load a slideshow upon our return to the bubble.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're heading down to my neck of the woods! What part of the Ozarks are you heading to? We live in the Southern Missouri part of the Ozarks.

I was a bit baffled by your worries. Then I saw your reference to deer hunting and thought that was why you were worried...but, then read on a bit further and it sounded a lot more ominous than simple deer hunting. Doesn't sound like my part of the Ozarks. People down here are a bit sheltered...not well-travelled and sometimes pretty naive about anyone that doesn't "match" them...but, I haven't seen much racism at all (thankfully). Of course there is always a few bad apples in the basket where-ever you go in the world. I HAVE seen a lot of naiivity and innocent ingnorance...but nothing mean or threatening.

We and our kids are doing our part to bring diversity to the Ozarks! And we have been welcomed with such genuine heartfelt hospitality and warm friendship at ever turn. Honestly, within just a month or so of moving down here, we were already more "connected" into the community than we had ever been living our entire lives in Kansas City.

Hope you get to see the friendly side of the Ozarks!

Oh...and it is way too cold for chiggers this time of year! (I think the bear are in hibernation by now, too!)...and the trees don't surround you so much now that they have lost their leaves!

prechrswife said...

Have a safe trip! Hope everyone is feeling better, too. Being sick makes for a very long car trip.

Kim said...

We've arrived! It was a good trip overall and Cody drove 14 of the 16 hours last night so I got a break ;) Of course I couldn't sleep but I didn't have to keep my eyes open all night either and that helped. We seem to always catch snow in South Dakota...even in summer when we passed through we got hailed upon...what is it with South Dakota? Hopefully the trip back will be better...we were in pretty heavy snowfall for about an hour with visability down to about 2 feet so it was slow going. After SD it was a peaceful drive with no major incidents other than finding a potty in the middle of the night and early in the morning...not always an easy endevor for the girls; the boys can just pee on the side of the road. We made it to Momma's just in time for breakfast; biscuits with sausage, bacon and scrambled eggs. It was yummy! Now to get my Mom onto blogging...

PS Monica, didn't mean to make it sound like this part of the country is a bad place, it is lovely here. My "fears" were instigated when I talked to my Mom on the phone last week and she talked about the election, a young news anchor being murdered in her home and guns flying off the shelf...all at the same time. So I may have gotten a bit worried about nothing because I was picturing being flogged by a band of crazed rednecks on a mission...yeah that doesn't really happen but I heard a lot of weird stories growing up so this image has always been in my mind of what some people may do to the "outsiders" oh that and the fact that I was beaten up in 3rd grade...an act of violence and racism - I have always hated racism so I hope that being a victim doesn't in any way make me one too....it just makes me extra cautious which I hate having to be be but I must protect those that I love

leo said...

sorry it took me a while to get here. i love what u did to your blog, pretty. glad u made it safely to your mom's. hv a good thanksgiving n safe journey back home too. love n peace.