Friday, December 12, 2008

16 Amazing Years

Today Scott and I celebrate 16 years together :) We had our very first date 16 years ago and have been together ever since. I called him by the way...it was just after my Squadron Christmas Party and I'd met him at work several weeks before and had been trying to drop hints through our coworkers to see what I could do to get him to ask me out...but he was and still isn't a very assertive type and had I waited I would probably not have ever gone out with him. His room mate at the time though had absolutely no qualms about asking me out and I had to repeatedly avoid him while trying to capture my one true love's eye. Our first date actually was on an outing with several of his friends (roommate included - ugh) In spite of that we had a great date obviously and I will never look at a Christmas tree by a fireplace without thinking back to that first date...:)

***I have a confession to make****
I am a horrid, horrible person....and you will and can say so after you hear why but in my defense I thought I made it perfectly clear that I DO NOT LIKE CUT FLOWERS...especially ones THAT WERE PURCHASED FROM A FLORIST...cut from the garden is ok, wildflowers and such are fabulous and they actually MEAN something...but PLEASE DO NOT BUY ME FLOWERS! I would rather have a living plant that I can keep for a long long time. Is that wrong? If you want to buy me cut flowers...keep them and enjoy them yourself. Because I don't enjoy seeing them die.


I came home yesterday to find hubs clearing the driveway (again) and when I say (again) it is like he would rather be clearing the driveway than being inside with his family...the wind is blowing and the snow just blowing back into the driveway again doesn't make any sense to me why it needs to be cleared away constantly...but that is his hobby so to each their own...I came inside to find on the table...cut flowers in a paper wrapper and a live poinsetta. This was not the only red I was seeing...I should have been happy that he was so thoughtful and sweet...instead I was LIVID. Does this man whom I've lived with for the past 16 years know me at all??? Not only do I dislike cut flowers from a florist but also flowers that I am destined to send to deaths door...so when he came in a few minutes later he found me a bit steamed. I told him I didn't want the flowers and to give them to someone else....so he threw them out into the snowbank. Hours later we came back from my office Christmas party and I asked him where they were...I got them out of the snow but they'd frozen and 5 minutes later when the warmed up were mush....so our anniversary didn't end especially well. I was left wondering how much if at all this guy really knows me. I love him unconditionally and that gets us through pretty much everything that life throws our way but just sometimes I wish he understood me. Guess that is why they say men are from Mars...any helpful advice?

2 comments:

prechrswife said...

Happy Anniversary to you! :-)

rgshrs said...

What a sweet memory. I love first date memories! Happy Anniversary. ;)