Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Getting there...

This site still has a ways to go to be just right but its a work in progress and I am learning a lot as I go. Its pretty easy really, hey if I can do it ANYBODY can do it! Just be brave and try new ideas if you feel the urge for a more custom look.

Topic of The Day:
I am thinking of "going back to school" to get my Associates Degree. I have not been to school since I graduated in 1989, I was thinking of taking some online courses to help me in my administrative position and several online colleges have contacted me regarding getting a degree online. So this gives me a lot more to think about. Hubs would also like to take some college courses prior to his retirement next June and has Tuition assistance from the AF. We have on child in college already, one about to graduate in May and another in 10th grade...plus the two youngest to think about....how can I afford to pay for courses for myself?


This is the question. Does it matter really which college I get my degree from and what makes them different? They all have different fees but can someone tell me how to tell the difference. I am totally clueless here. I never have started back to school because I stink at math. I took a pre-algebra class that was supposed to get me to the level of college math, wasn't even worth a credit and it blew my mind how much I stink at math. I wound up dropping the class midway through because it just wasn't making any sense and that was over 16 years ago and I haven't tried taking any classes since. Not that I haven't wanted to, I think I could do fine with the other courses but the math is my stumbling block.


How do I get past this and make the move towards a degree? I really do love to learn, I just like understanding what I learn...and algebra just doesn't make any sense to me.



Thanks for visiting! I hope you will drop me a line and let me know you were here and visit often. It's lonely here without you! Have a GREAT day!

3 comments:

Steffie B. said...

ok...girl...which blog I am suppose to go to??? I'm confused! lol

prechrswife said...

The main thing, as far as choosing a program, is make sure that they are accredited by a national accrediting agency. Otherwise, the degree won't be worth much. I think it is definitely a worthwhile idea if you want to go for it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim. I'm finally catching up on the new blog!!
Here's my $0.02 when it comes to online learning... see if there is a community college in your state that offers online classes which would transfer to the state university.
You can earn you AA degree in general studies and then many state colleges offer distance learning programs via the internet. The benefit to an in-state school is 1) you qualify for discounted tuition, 2) if there is a branch near you, you can possibly attend a class or two once the kids go to school full-time, 3) (and you'll have to look into this) state colleges and universities usually work together to grandfather AA graduates into their programs (that's how it works in Florida - if you graduate with an AA or AS from a Florida community college, you're guaranteed admission to at least one of the Florida universities).
I'd start there. And, the BEST thing you can do is call the academic advisors to help you choose your best path of classes. They can help you decide what is best for you to graduate with the right degree as well as what classes you need to finish in the least amount of time/spending the least amount of money.
I didn't start meeting with my advisor until I (thought I) was a Senior. Turned out I needed 8 extra classes and had to stay an extra semester.
So, after all my mumbojumbo, my first suggestion is researching accredited in-state community colleges with on-line study programs. It sounds very specific, but many schools are doing it these days.
Good luck!!! Feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I've done LOTS of distance learning (community college and university levels)
(formerly Destination:Anywhere)