Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Home Improvement?

After spending my entire commute home yesterday in tears, I came home and hit the net...looking for an escape hatch...winter is getting to me big time and I am on the verge on a mental breakdown...and you know what they say "when mamma ain't happy..."

So Jaiden and I are now going to take a little vacation...to FLORIDA!....for 5 days we will be able to get outside and play :) I am so excited about that....I can't hardly breathe here anymore, being cooped up indoors for 5 months and then being sick on top of that...is just misery.

Its still sinking in...after I hit book the trip of course a million doubts crept into my head so I could hardly get to sleep last night. Scott is supportive of this, it was his idea that I take a trip and he made the suggestion months ago...but I didn't want to spend the money with things so uncertain right now...they are still just as uncertain for sure but snapping from the pressure of it all is just not an option...and my mindframe coming home was of escaping the only way that seemed possible at the time...but there is no return ticket for that trip

So finally after months of winter with no end in sight and spending all our free time thinking about upgrades to the house and walking the aisles of the home improvement stores for exercise as much as anything, there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

So why am I going with just myself and Jaiden? I would LOVE this to be a family vacation but we can't afford air travel for 5 and the boys would be out of school for over a week. Cody just came home with a new job yesterday (YAY Cody!!!) He was hired at Dairy Queen...so that means he will be working and not able to take of for a whole week...Scott is saving his leave to use for terminal leave after retirement...so that just leaves Jaiden and I.

She is so very excited about our trip...I showed her the photo of the hotel and I think the only think I need to pack is her swimsuit...she saw the pool and just about lit up like a Christmas tree...that is what prompted me to hit the submit button...that look on her face was priceless...and she has been talking non stop about "spring" and going outside to play in the sprinkler...and being able to finally wear shorts...because I won't let her wear them in winter...she runs around bare foot most of the time...her flip flops replace her crocs as soon as she gets in the door good every afternoon and they usually never leave her feet until right before walking out the door the next morning...so I think she will love the sandals kinda attitude of Florida.

Our trip is from Mar 10 - Mar 17 and I must get started on an itenerary soon. Right now I do not have a plan to get to the airport yet...we are leaving from MSP. It cost the same to fly from here to MSP as it does from MSP to Orlando...so that is not an option. I will probably drive there but I need to figure out a way to get the car away from the airport as parking costs are astrocious. I am hoping I can find an inlaw willing to make the trip to the airport with me. Its a 5.5 hour drive from here...2 hours from Scott's hometown...so my prayer is that will fall into place and my boss will approve my leave...and my family will not be furious at me for not attending this years family reunion...I hope they will understand...

7 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Kim ~ I so hope the trip acts as the balm you need. Endless winters are no fun.

Barbara said...

Kim,
AllSeasons Nursery has a greenhouse, it's nice to go through it every once in a while in the winter time. It's only open Saturdays this time of year, but it might be nice for this weekend with Jaiden. Winter should end in another 6 weeks... there is an end, it just seems so far away... February is my hardest month here.

Jonathan and Michelle said...

Hey there, I totally understand your need...if I don't get sun, then I can't function at all and things get pretty bad. I live in a place that lets me enjoy the outdoors for most of the year, we've only had an inch of snow at the most. ANYWAY! ENJOY your trip, nuture your soul, and soak up the wonderful sun!!

rgshrs said...

I'm sad for the reasons you feel compelled to come, but I'm THRILLED you are coming down! A direct quote from Julia "Jaiden's Mama is going to get in the car and put her in the car and come to Florida and see me?" when I told her yes, she got a great big smile and said "yeah!" LOL!!! Looking forward to seeing you and hope it is just the rejuvination you need to get you through til spring!!

Kylie's momma said...

Bon voyage...looking forward to hearing more details! Sunshine AND warmth her you come!

prechrswife said...

Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Considering home improvement once in awhile could really free you from stress due to work, deadlines and deadlines and never ending deadlines to meet. Also, you can have it as a time for your loved ones to get to together and have fun.